Council Tax FAQs

Annual Bills

What date will I receive my annual bill?

We are posting these bills between 12 and 15 March 2021, if you have not received your bill by 22 March please contact us for a replacement.

How up to date is my bill?

The annual bills have been produced based on our records as at 27 February 2021. They may include advance changes already updated on our system.

Any changes not yet updated or reported after this date will not be reflected in this bill and an amendment will be issued in due course.

I wish to report a change

If you think your annual bill is wrong and you have had a change in your circumstances that we do not know about you can report this to us:

Why am I being charged water and sewerage when I am not connected?

Your Council Tax bill will show two charges. The first is a full charge for the year for the Council Tax band that your property falls into and will include the water and sewerage charges for that band. We have to include this on the bill as it is a requirement of the legislation.

The second charge is the charge specific to you which should differ from the first if you do not pay for water or sewerage. Check further down your bill to make sure no water and sewerage charges are showing. If they are and you think you may be being charged incorrectly please contact us.

What is the survey leaflet about in with my bill?

We are undergoing a series of reviews to transform our services. The current COVID-19 situation has added to the need to review how we deliver our services and how they are accessed. We want to hear from people who currently use our services, or may do so in the future, so this is their chance to influence our future customer service arrangements. You can view more information on our leaflet.

Complete the survey

I receive Council Tax Reduction, will the notification be included with my bill?

If you receive Council Tax Reduction you will receive your notification letter separately.

I receive Housing Benefit, where is my notification/how much entitlement do I have?

Housing Benefit notifications will be issued seperately from 29 March 2021. This will show the amount of help you will get towards paying your rent. It will give the calculation used to work out your entitlement and details your income and allowance. If you need help understanding this please contact us with details of your enquiry.

I pay by direct debit, do I need to set this up again?

If you paid your Council Tax by direct debit last year and did not cancel the mandate your instruction will continue. This means you do not need to set this up every year. Your Council Tax bill details the dates and amount which will be deducted from your account. Please check the very bottom of your bill, look for the text in bold to confirm you pay by direct debit.

I pay by standing order, what do I need to do?

If you want to continue to pay by standing order you need to renew this with your bank every year. You must give them the new instalment amounts, dates and your new Council Tax account number (the last digit of your Council Tax account number changes every year,  if you do not change this you payments will not reach the correct account and you may receive reminder letters).

What is an online reference?

We will be introducing a new online customer account called MyScotBorders. You will be able to check your Council Tax account balance, make payment, report changes and apply for relief.