Reporting a change in circumstances

To make sure the right person is charged Council Tax at the right rate, you must tell us about any changes in the circumstances of the adults (aged 18 or over) living in a property, if someone within your household is due to turn 18 years of age or where the property has been bought, sold or the tenants change.

Homeowner or tenant

If you are a homeowner or tenant you can fill in the Council Tax change in occupancy or address form to tell us about the changes that affect you:

  • if you are moving address
  • someone new has moved in
  • someone within your property has moved out
  • someone within your property is turning 18

This is the quickest way to tell us of a change so we can update your Council Tax account. If you are moving to/from an address outwith the Scottish Borders Council area, you will need to notify the council in the other area of the change.

Landlord, agent or solicitor

If you are a landlord, agent or solicitor you can fill in the Council Tax change in tenancy or ownership to tell us about a change that affects a property you are dealing with:

  • if a tenant is moving in to one of your properties
  • if a tenant is moving out of one of your properties 
  • to report the sale or purchase of a property

You can also tell us about a change in circumstances by contacting our Customer Advice and Support Service.

My property is now self-catering accommodation

If you have started to rent out a property as a short term let on a commercial basis it may need to stop being charged Council Tax and be reassessed as a Non-Domestic Self Catering property. Visit our self-catering accommodation page for more information.

Customer Advice and Support Service

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800