Students and School Leavers


If some or all occupants of the property are students you may be entitled to a discount or exemption.

You will need to provide a certificate from the educational establishment confirming:

  • your student status
  • start date of the course
  • expected end date of the course
  • name of the course
  • that the course is fulltime

School Leavers

You must be aged over 18 but under 20 and on the 30 of April previously be a student undertaking a qualifying course of education (including attending school).

You will need to provide supporting documentation confirming:

  • school/college attended
  • course undertaken
  • date of leaving school/college

The period 1 May to 31 October following the person leaving school or college may be disregarded.

How to apply

You can apply online. If you need any assistance, contact our Customer Advice and Support Service

Apply for a discount or exemption for an occupied property

Customer Advice and Support Service

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800