Severely Mentally Impaired

You may be entitled to a Council Tax discount if a person in your household has a severe mental impairment and receives a benefit. This also applies if you live with a partner who gets Job Seekers Allowance (JSA), which includes a premium for incapacity for work.

How to apply

You can apply online. If you need any assistance, contact our Customer Advice and Support Service

A certificate from doctor/medical professional confirming severe mental impairment needs to be provided along with proof of the award of one of the following:

  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • The care component of a Disability Living Allowance (higher or middle rate)
  • Daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • Daily living component of Adult Disability Payment
  • Increased Disablement Pension due to constant attendance need
  • Disability Working Allowance, Unemployability Supplement/Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit that includes disability or severe disability element
  • Article 8 or 12 of the Naval, Military and Air Forces etc (Disablement and Death) Service Pensions Order 2006
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Income Support which includes a disability premium
  • Partner's Job Seekers Allowance which includes incapacity premium
  • Universal Credit with Limited capability for work or work-related activity element

Apply for a discount or exemption for an occupied property

Customer Advice and Support Service

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800