In Hospital or Care Home

You may be eligible for a discount or exemption on Council Tax if you are a long-term patient in a hospital, residential care home, nursing home or hostel.

The following supporting documentation is required:

  • letter from a doctor confirming that you are unlikely to return home
  • the date you entered the hospital or home
  • an indication of your illness

If the property is now unoccupied, use our unoccupied property form to apply online.

However if the property remains occupied, use our occupied property form to apply online

If you need any assistance contact our Customer Advice and Support Service.

Apply for a discount or exemption for an unoccupied property Apply for a discount or exemption for an occupied property

Customer Advice and Support Service

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800