Tell us about changes which affect your benefits

Had a change in circumstances?

If you receive housing benefit, Local Housing Allowance or Council Tax reduction you must tell us about any change of circumstance which may affect how much benefit you get.

This is not a full list.  If you are not sure whether to tell us about a change, ask us for advice. You must tell us about any changes straight away.

Changes you must tell us about

You must tell us if

  • anyone moves into or out of your home
  • your income, capital, savings or investments change
  • your partner’s income, capital, savings or investments change
  • the income of anyone else living with you changes
  • your rent changes
  • you move house
  • the amount you pay for child care changes.

How to notify changes

You can tell us by downloading and completing a change of circumstances form and return it to your nearest contact centre. Telling the Pension Service or Job Centre Plus of a change does not mean they automatically tell the Council.

Alternatively you can tell us about changes by calling us on 0300 100 1800 or visit your nearest contact centre.

If you do not tell us your changes

  • If you do not tell us about these changes, you may lose money you are entitled to or you may get too much benefit.
  • It is an offence not to tell us about any change of circumstance that affects your benefit.
  • We may take court action against you and if we pay you too much benefit, you may have to pay it back.
Download the change in circumstances form