Disabled Person

You may be able to get a reduction on your Council Tax if you, or an adult or child living with you, is permanently disabled and the property is their sole or main residence.

The property contains at least one of the following:

  • a room (which is not a bathroom, kitchen or lavatory) which is mainly used by the disabled person
  • an additional bathroom or kitchen which is required for the disabled person
  • enough floor space to allow the use of a wheelchair

If you qualify, your property valuation band will drop by one band.

How to apply for the Disabled Band Reduction

You can apply online. If you need any assistance, contact our Customer Advice and Support Service.


Make a Disabled Band Reduction application

Customer Advice and Support Service

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800