Council Tax FAQs

Annual bills

What date will I receive my annual bill?

We are posting the 2023/24 bills between 13 and 16 March 2023, if you have not received your bill by 24 March 2023, contact us and we can issue a replacement bill.

How up to date is my bill?

The annual bills have been produced based on our records as at 10 February 2023.

Any changes not yet updated or reported after this date will not be reflected in this bill and an amendment will be issued in due course.

I wish to report a change

If you think your annual bill is wrong and you have had a change in your circumstances that we do not know about you can report this to us:

I want to discuss my Council Tax account

We are able to advise on general enquiries via Live Chat and our most frequently asked questions are listed below. If you need to discuss your bill with an advisor, contact us.

Please note this is a very busy time of year so you may not get an instant response.

Understanding your bill

Why am I being charged water and sewerage when I am not connected?

Your Council Tax bill will show two charges. The first is a full charge for the year for the Council Tax band that your property falls into and will include the water and sewerage charges for that band. We have to include this on the bill as it is a requirement of the legislation.

The second charge is the charge specific to you, which should differ from the first section if you do not pay for water or sewerage. Check further down your bill to make sure that no water and sewerage charges are showing. If they are and you think you may be being charged incorrectly, contact us.

Where is my discount?

Your discount will show in the bottom half of the first page, under the breakdown of your bill. If you have applied for a discount, but this does not appear on your bill, contact us with the details and we will look into this for you.

I want to apply for a discount or an exemption

For more information, or to apply for a discount or exemption, see our Money off Council Tax pages.

Paying your Council Tax

I pay by direct debit, do I need to set this up again?

If you paid your Council Tax by direct debit last year and did not cancel the mandate your instruction will continue. This means you do not need to set this up every year. Your Council Tax bill details the dates and amount which will be deducted from your account. Check the very bottom of your bill and look for the text in bold to confirm you pay by direct debit.

Can I set up a direct debit?

To set up a direct debit, see our Pay Council Tax by Direct Debit page

I pay by standing order, what do I need to do?

If you want to continue to pay by standing order you need to renew this with your bank every year. You must give them the new instalment amounts, dates and your new Council Tax account number (the last digit of your Council Tax account number changes every year). If you do not change this, your payments will not reach the correct account and you may receive reminder letters.

I can’t afford my instalments

You may be entitled to Council Tax Reduction. If you are finding it difficult to pay your Council Tax you should contact us.

Council Tax online

What is an online reference?

We have introduced a new online customer account called MyScotBorders. You will be able to check your Council Tax account balance and make payments.

I can’t find my account number or my online reference number.

Your account number and online reference number can be found at the top of your Council Tax bill on the right hand side. For more information on registering to see your Council Tax online, including help with problems logging in, see our View your Council Tax online webpage.

Council Tax reduction and Housing Benefit

I receive Council Tax Reduction, will the notification be included with my bill?

If you receive Council Tax Reduction you will receive your notification letter separately.

I receive Housing Benefit, where is my notification/how much entitlement do I have?

Housing Benefit notifications will be issued separately. These will show the amount you will get towards paying your rent. It will give the calculation used to work out your entitlement and details your income and allowance. If you need help understanding this, contact us with details of your enquiry.