Council Tax - FAQ's

Council Tax FAQ’s 2019/20

How much Council Tax do I pay?

Each property is placed in one of eight bands according to its market value as at 01 April 1991. Your Council Tax bill will indicate which band your property falls into. The table below indicates the charge excluding water and waste water charges.

Property Value (as at April 1991) £


Council Tax

Council Tax

Water Supply Charges

Waste Water Collection Charge

Total Charge

Up to 27,000


£766.68 240/360





27,001 to 35,000


£894.46 280/360





35,001 to 45,000


£1,022.24 320/360





45,001 to 58,000


£1,150.02 360/360





58,001 to 80,000


£1,510.99 473/360





80,001 to 106,000


£1,868.78 585/360





106,001 to 212,000


£2,252.11 705/360





Above 212,001


£2,817.54 882/360





Why has my Council Tax bill increased?

We have agreed from 01 April 2019 to increase Council Tax by 4%. An increase may also be due to an increase in annual water and waste water charges. Council Tax can increase by 100% for certain properties that have been empty for 12 months or more. Find out more about council tax on our website.

How do I pay?

Council Tax is charged for each day of the year but is normally paid in 10 instalments payable on the first of each month from April to January inclusive. However if you choose to pay by Direct Debit you have the option to spread your payments over 12 months.

You can pay your Council Tax:

  • By Direct Debit  
  • Online  
  • By cash at any Post Officer or shop displaying the PayPoint sign (please ensure that you bring your bill with you)
  • Over the telephone 0300 100 1800

How is Council Tax calculated?

This depends on the Valuation Band your property falls into. Bands are allocated according to the value of your property on the open market as at 01 April 1991. Council Tax is calculated as a proportion of the Band D charge by applying a multiplier. Any queries regarding the banding of your property should be referred to the Assessor by email: [email protected]

We have agreed to increase Council Tax by 4%.  For 2019/20 the charge for a Band D property will be £1,196.02 (excluding water and waste water charges).

Should I be paying less?

There are many ways in which your bill can be reduced, for example:

  • Council Tax Reduction Scheme e.g. you are on a low income or in receipt of certain benefits
  • Second Adult Rebate e.g. for someone living with you, other than a partner, who is on a low income. If you have a partner, they must be disregarded for Council Tax purposes.
  • Council Tax Discounts: 25% if you live alone or are the only adult in the household*, 50% if your property is not someone’s sole or main residence and is a purpose built holiday home, or must be occupied as a condition of the owner/tenant’s job
  • Disabled banding Reduction e.g. a member of your household is permanently disabled and uses a wheelchair inside
  • Exemption in certain circumstances.

*Certain people are not included when counting adults such as students, apprentices, carers, those who have a severe mental impairment etc.