Council Tax Charges and Bands

Council Tax is a property based tax (including some caravans) which contributes towards our services.

Increase to Council Tax charges for all Scottish Borders households

From 01 April 2019 Council Tax increased by 4 per cent.

Your property banding

Every property is in a band and the charge is based on 2 adult residents. How much you pay depends on which band your house is in. Each band is calculated as a proportion of band D.

You can check the band for your property on the Scottish Assessors website.

Council Tax reductions

Visit our Council Tax Reduction page for information and details on how to apply.

Unoccupied property Council Tax

If your property has been unoccupied for more than 12 months, you may be charged double the normal rate of Council Tax. Further details can be found on the long term empty properties page.

Band Multiplier
Council Tax
Water Supply
Waste Water
Charge 2019/20
Total Charge
A 240/360 £797.35 £137.04 £159.12 £1,093.51
B 280/360 £930.24 £159.88 £185.64 £1,275.76
C 320/360 £1,063.13 £182.72 £212.16 £1,458.01
D 360/360 £1,196.02 £205.56 £238.68 £1,640.26
E 473/360 £1,571.44 £251.24 £291.72 £2,114.40
F 585/360 £1,943.53 £296.92 £344.76 £2,585.21
G 705/360 £2,342.21 £342.60 £397.80 £3,082.61
H 882/360 £2,930.25 £411.12 £477.36 £3,818.73

Council Tax charges and bands 2016/17 to 2018/19

Change in household circumstances

To make sure the right person is charged Council Tax at the right rate, you must tell us about any changes in the circumstances of the adults (aged 18 or over) living in a property.

If there have been any changes in your circumstances, for instance if someone new has moved in, or out then please let us know. It means we can see if you are entitled to money off your Council Tax.

Band D Council Tax set by ourselves.

This year Band D Council Tax has been set at

Present Year                                                                 £1,196

Previous Year                                                               £1,150

Scottish Average Band D Council Tax (2018/19)         £1,208

EXAMPLE: Band D Council Tax bill of £1,196.02 would be split as follows:


Spend Band D Equivalent
Children & Young People £527.35
Health & Social Care  £250.26
Finance, IT & Procurement £141.97
Assets & Infrastructure £119.74
Customer & Communities £84.44
Regulatory Services £29.71
Culture & Sport £24.53
Human Resources £14.91
Economic Development &
Corporate Services
TOTAL £1,196.02