Non-British spouses of students

A person is disregarded for Council Tax purposes if they are:

  • the spouse or dependant of a student
  • not a British citizen
  • prevented by immigration rules from taking paid employment or claiming benefits in the UK*

You will need to provide proof of restrictions imposed by immigration regulations.

*It is sufficient for the non British spouse of a student to satisfy one or other of these two conditions.

Apply for a discount or exemption for an occupied property

Customer Advice and Support Service

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800