Young People Leaving Care

Young People Leaving Care

You may qualify for an exemption or discount in Council Tax if you are a young person leaving care depending on the number of other adults residing in the property with you.

Who is a care leaver?

A care leaver is a person who:

  • is at least 18 years of age but not yet 26 years of age
  • was on that person’s sixteenth birthday or at any subsequent time looked after by a Local Authority
  • is no longer looked after by a Local Authority

Examples of where an exemption may apply

  • you have left care and you now live on your own
  • you have left care and now share a home where everyone in the household qualifies to be disregarded

Examples of where a 25% discount may apply

  • you share your home with one other person who is not disregarded for Council Tax purposes
  • there are two (or more) adult residents and all but one person qualifies to be disregarded

Applying for money off your Council Tax

You can apply online. If you need any assistance, contact our Customer Advice and Support Service.

Apply for a discount or exemption for an occupied property

Customer Advice and Support Service

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800