A 25% discount may be granted if:
- there is only one adult resident in the property
- there are two (or more) adult residents and all but one qualifies to be disregarded
Online Single Occupancy Review
We have recently completed a review of all customers that received Single Person Occupancy Discount. If you did not respond by 14 May 2019 your discount will have been removed and you will be receiving amended Council Tax bills reflecting your increased charge. If you have forgotten to respond but would like to advise us that you still live alone please call Customer Advice and Support Service on 0300 100 1800.
A 50% discount may be granted if:
- each of the residents qualify to be disregarded
Definition of disregarded
Disregarded people do not count towards the number of occupiers in your property. When we work out your Council Tax, it is based on the number of non disregarded occupiers.
Reasons for disregard
The following people qualify to be disregarded when counting the number of adult residents:
- the person is in prison (or other detention by Court Order)
- the person is severely mentally impaired and is in receipt of certain benefits
- the person is a student/student nurse
- the person is an apprentice
- the person is on a Youth Training Scheme
- long term patients in hospital or residential care homes or nursing homes or hostels
- the person is a Care Worker
- the person has no income or capital of his own and is a member of a religious community
- the person is aged over 18 but under 20 and on 30 April was previously a student
- person in military detention
- the person is a Care Leaver
If you think you are entitled to a Council Tax Discount or disregard fill in the application form and return it to us.