You may be entitled to a Council Tax discount if a person in your household is severely mentally impaired and receives a benefit. This also applies if you live with a partner who gets Job Seekers Allowance (JSA), which includes a premium for incapacity for work.
How to apply
- If all of the occupants are severely mentally impaired, download the Council Tax - Exemption Application Form (Occupied Property).
- If there are two or more occupants resident in the property and at least one person is not severely mentally impaired, download the Council Tax - Discount Application Form.
In both cases, a certificate from doctor/medical professional confirming severe mental impairment needs to be provided along with proof of the award of one of the following:
- Incapacity Benefit
- Employment and Support Allowance
- Attendance Allowance
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- The care component of a Disability Living Allowance (higher or middle rate)
- Daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
- Increased Disablement Pension due to constant attendance need
- Disability Working Allowance, Unemployability Supplement/Allowance
- Constant Attendance Allowance
- Income Support which includes a disability premium
- Partner's Job Seekers Allowance which includes incapacity premium
- Universal Credit.