You may be entitled to a Council Tax discount if a person in your household is severely mentally impaired and receives a benefit. This also applies if you live with a partner who gets Job Seekers Allowance (JSA), which includes a premium for incapacity for work.
How to apply
- If all of the occupants are severely mentally impaired, download the Council Tax - Exemption Application Form (Occupied Property).
- If there are two or more occupants resident in the property and at least one person is not severely mentally impaired, download the Council Tax - Discount Application Form.
In both cases, a certificate from doctor/medical professional confirming severe mental impairment needs to be provided along with proof of the award of one of the following:
- incapacity benefit
- employment and support allowance (ESA)
- attendance allowance
- severe disablement allowance
- the care component of a disability living allowance (higher or middle rate)
- daily living component of personal independence payment
- increased disablement pension due to constant attendance need
- disability working allowance, unemployability supplement/allowance
- constant attendance allowance
- income support which includes a disability premium
- partner's JSA which includes incapacity premium