Council Tax reduction

Council Tax Reduction helps people with low incomes to pay their Council Tax. We assess how much you are entitled to based on your income, savings and the number of people living in your household.

If you have a partner we will include their income and savings as well when we work out any entitlement. We may also take into account the income of any other adults living with you in certain circumstances.

You can claim if:

  • You are responsible for paying the Council Tax bill
  • You are on a low income (this includes Universal Credit)
  • You (and your partner) don't have more than £16,000 in savings or capital, unless you are   getting Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit)

How do I apply?

You can apply by:

If you are self employed you will also need to download and complete a self employed earnings form.

To assess your claim you will be required to provide proof of your income and savings. Full details of what you can use as evidence are shown on the application form.

If you pay childcare costs please download and complete the Childcare costs evidence form.

If you are a self-employed taxi driver please complete the Taxi driver income sheet.

What happens next?

We will let you know our decision in writing.

If you disagree with the decision you can ask for an appeal and for us to reconsider our decision.