Council Tax Reduction helps people with low incomes to pay their Council Tax. We assess how much you are entitled to based on your income, savings and the number of people living in your household.
If you have a partner we will include their income and savings as well when we work out any entitlement. We may also take into account the income of any other adults living with you in certain circumstances.
You can claim if you, or your partner:
- Are responsible for paying the Council Tax bill
- Are on a low income
- Don't have more than £16,000 in savings or capital, unless you are getting Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit)
Properties in Council Tax Bands E to H
The Scottish Government introduced legislation to change the Council Tax multipliers for properties in Bands E to H with effect from 01 April 2017. There is no local discretion to change these multipliers.
If you are in a Council Tax band E, F G or H property and are not currently getting Council Tax Reduction, you may qualify for a reduction equivalent to the difference between the new multiplier and the old multiplier.
To qualify for the maximum reduction you must have limited savings and meet one of the following criteria:
- Single claimants with no children and an income less than £321 per week (£16,692 per year).
- Couples or single claimants with dependent children and an income less than £479 per week (£24,908 per year).
Where your income is only slightly above these amounts, you may still be eligible for a partial Council Tax Reduction award.
If you have savings or other capital of more than £16,000 it will usually mean that you are not eligible for any reduction.
How do I apply?
You can apply by:
- completing our online benefits form
- downloading and completing our housing benefit and Council Tax reduction form - this should be returned to your nearest contact centre.
If you are self employed you will also need to download and complete a self employed earnings form.
To assess your claim you will be required to provide proof of your income and savings. Full details of what you can use as evidence are shown on the application form.
If you pay childcare costs please download and complete the Childcare costs evidence form.
If you are a self-employed taxi driver please complete the Taxi driver income sheet.
What happens next?
We will let you know our decision in writing.
If you disagree with the decision you can ask for an appeal and for us to reconsider our decision.