Universal Credit

What is Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) is a new benefit for working age people who are on a low income or out of work. It replaces a number of existing benefits and Tax Credits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Jobseeker's Allowance (Income Based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income-Related)
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

You cannot usually get any of these benefits or Tax Credits separately if you get UC.

Council Tax Reduction is not included in UC. If you and/or your partner are liable to pay Council Tax as a resident of the Scottish Borders, you should apply for Council Tax Reduction to help pay your Council Tax and help with your monthly budgeting.

Could UC affect you?

Who can claim?

You can no longer make a new claim to any of the benefits which are being replaced by UC. If you are not currently receiving any of these benefits and you wish to make a claim you will have to claim UC.

If you are currently receiving any of the benefits being replaced and your circumstances are unchanged you do not need to claim UC at the moment. The Department for Work and Pensions will transfer you on to UC in the future.

If you are currently receiving any of the benefits being replaced, and you have a change in your circumstances which means that you need to make a claim for a new or different benefit you will have to claim UC. For example:

  • if you are getting Jobseeker's Allowance because you were looking for work but are now ill and unable to work you can no longer claim Employment and Support Allowance but must claim UC instead
  • if you are living in someone else’s house but you move to your own tenancy you can no longer claim Housing Benefit but must claim UC instead

You can find more detailed information about eligibility on the Government website.

If you live in supported housing/homeless accommodation or if you are state pension age, you should still claim Housing Benefit

Download Universal Credit marketing materials Watch Universal Credit: online application - instructional video Get help to apply for Universal Credit

Customer Advice and Support Service

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800