Universal Credit

Get help to manage your monthly payments

Universal Credit (UC) is normally paid monthly and is designed to match the way that most salaries are paid. If you’re not used to managing your money this way, there is support available.

One thing you must remember if you rent your home is that your UC payments are likely to include an amount to pay your rent, and you will be responsible for paying your rent to your landlord yourself. This is very important to avoid falling into rent arrears. 

If you are a couple living in the same household you will receive one monthly payment between you, which will be paid into a suitable account of your choice. This could be a joint account or a single account in either your name or your partner’s name.

What you need to think about to budget your money

To start budgeting your money you need to think about:

  • how best to make sure you pay your regular bills, for example setting up direct debits to pay your rent, gas, electricity, etc. Also consider if getting your UC paid in two instalments in the month would help manage your bills more easily
  • how you can to keep track of your spending, for example set up electronic banking which can help you keep an eye on your outgoings through the internet
  • if you are a couple how best to manage your money together, perhaps by opening a joint account

Work out your monthly budget

Plan ahead and ensure you pay your bills promptly. There are lots of ways you can manage your money:

  • use a budget planner to help make your money last to the end of the month. The Money Advice Service provides a free and impartial online money manager based on your personal circumstances
  • writing down what you spend each month and work out how much you will have left over once your bills are paid
  • getting budgeting advice from family or friends
  • speaking to your local Jobcentre Plus work coach

Help with budgeting

We work in partnership with Citizens Advice Scotland to provide money advice. You can contact your local Citizens Advice Scotland branch to make an appointment to speak to someone.

Customer Advice and Support Service

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800