Universal Credit

Getting ready for Universal Credit #yourpart

Universal Credit (UC) is a big change from any benefits or Tax Credits you may get now, and you will need to be ready to manage your claim differently. You will need to:

Apply for Council Tax Reduction

If you and/or your partner are liable to pay Council Tax, as a resident of the Scottish Borders you should apply for Council Tax Reduction to help pay your Council Tax and help with your monthly budgeting as this isn’t included in UC.

Get a bank account

You will need a bank, building society or Post Office account your monthly payment can be paid into. If you do not have an account, you can find information about opening a basic account online at Money Advice Service.

Get online

You will need an email address. You will also need to create an account and verify your identity online.

Watch these YouTube informational videos to help you:

Get budgeting

Your monthly UC payment will include any help you get towards paying your rent, if you are eligible. You will need to budget so you can pay your rent, your bills and your other living costs for the whole month.

Keep your details safe

Keep your log-in details and personal number safe somewhere as you will need them to access your online account.

Our Your Guide to UC in the Scottish Borders leaflet explains what you need to do to get ready for UC. 

Download Universal Credit marketing materials

Customer Advice and Support Service

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800