Universal Credit

Additional financial help

Universal credit advance payment

If you don’t have enough money to live on while you wait for your first payment, you can ask the Department for Working Pensions for an advance payment.

An advance payment can give you up to the amount of your expected Universal Credit (UC) award. Your future monthly payments will be reduced while you pay the advance back, usually within 12 months.

You can ask for an advance payment at any time from the day you claim until three working days before your assessment date.

You can find out more about how to apply for an advance payment on the government website.

Crisis grants and community care grants

You may be eligible to apply for a crisis grant or community care grant if:

  • if you have not received your first payment of UC but have already received an advance payment of UC
  • if you receive regular payments of UC but need extra financial support

Find out more about our crisis and community care grants.

Customer Advice and Support Service

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800