What needs planning permission

Householder guide to planning permission

The regulations setting out whether planning permission is required for certain types of alterations and extensions to houses are set by the Scottish Government.

Not all development proposals require formal consent. This will depend upon the location of the property and the details of each particular proposal.

Formal consent for building works

There is Scottish Government guidance on what can and cannot be carried out to a house or flats without needing planning permission.  These Householder permitted development rights are set out by formal regulations.

If you are considering extending your house or flat, or building within the garden ground of your property, please see the following flow chart guidance which will give you basic advice on whether or not you will require formal consent for the works you wish to carry out.

If in doubt, please contact us for further advice before starting any work.  Should you require formal written confirmation that your proposals do not require planning permission, you will be required to submit an application for certificate of Lawfulness of a Proposed Use or Development

Other Consent Requirements

  • as well as the potential need for planning consent (and related consents such as Listed Building Consent) you should also check whether or not a Building Warrant is required for the proposal. You may need a Building Warrant even if planning permission is not required 
  • if you do not own the property or land, you should also seek the consent of the owner
  • if you wish to carry out any works on a tree, contact our Tree Officer (based at our HQ)

Development management

Processing of planning applications, and advice on the need for planning permission

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800