Housing support service

Homelessness Services Housing Support offers short term services to vulnerable people in critical need, who are at risk of losing their tenancy. Housing Support also offers support to enable people to secure, establish, manage and maintain their accommodation.

How can housing support help me?

The Housing Support service can help support you in maintaining your current tenancy, or finding you a new tenancy if appropriate. The service focuses on creating a Housing Support Plan for you, which is tailor made to suit your individual needs and goals.

This plan will only contain things that you feel you need help and support with, and that are directly related to avoiding or resolving your housing crisis.

The Support Service can assist you if:

  • you are aged 16 or over
  • homeless or potentially homeless
  • in housing need

If no immediate support needs arise from the initial assessment, but you feel you may require support once permanent accommodation is identified, this will be discussed with you. You will be placed on hold until we can assist you.

What is the assessment process?

  • you can apply for Housing Support by requesting a referral through your Prevention or Assessment Officer. Alternatively, you can call 01896 661385 or 0800 3761138 and ask for an appointment
  • you will be contacted directly by the Housing Support Team
  • you will have a review meeting with your Support Officer to see how you are getting on and to agree if you need continued support
  • at the end of your support plan period, you will have an exit meeting and agree with your Support Officer what contact you would like in the weeks or months ahead. If you have not settled into a home of your own, a new plan may be started

National Care Standards and Scottish Social Services Council Code of Conduct

The Homelessness Service housing support service adheres to the National Care Standards for housing support services. We operate within the practice criteria set out in the Scottish Social Services Council Codes of Practice. We are inspected regularly by the Care Inspectorate.

What if I am dissatisfied with the service I have received?

Should you be dissatisfied with our service, you can complain via our corporate complaints procedure.

Alternatively, you can complain directly to the Care Inspectorate by:

  • phoning the Care Inspectorate National Enquiry Line 0845 600 9527
  • visiting the Care Inspectorate website 
  • writing to Care Inspectorate, Ettrick Riverside Business Centre, Dunsdale Road, Selkirk, TD7 5EB
Download the homelessness strategy Download the Duty of Candour report Download advice and information about living in the private rented sector Download the Scottish Borders Homelessness service leaflet Download the Housing Support Service Leaflet