Road works and closures

There will be times when road works and closures are necessary to allow ourselves and utility companies (such as gas, phone, water and electricity) to improve their infrastructure as well as carry out emergency repairs in a safe manner.

Road closures

Where we're required to carry out planned maintenance on the road and bridge network, there may not always be enough space to allow a safe working area as well as allow vehicles through the works. Where this is the case a road closure is the only appropriate solution to address both traffic and pedestrian management.

You can see our upcoming road closures for planned works that are likely to have a significant effect on local residents and businesses. If you need any additional information or wish to be contacted by an officer involved in the planning and coordination of these works, please get in touch via email:

  • - for road closure works
  • - for bridge closures

There may be local or national events that require roads to be closed for a short period of time. These types of events are listed below and the relevant notices will be published on the Tell Me Scotland website.

  • common ridings
  • cycle tours
  • car rallying

Tell Me Scotland provides up to date information on current traffic notices across Scotland and allows you to filter information, subscribe to news and alerts or download apps.

Road works

Road works on all roads in the Scottish Borders, including trunk roads, are listed on the Scottish Road Works Register which allows you to search a route you plan to use and see if any road works are planned.

For further information on road works in our area please call 0300 100 1800.

Delays or disruptions on trunk roads

Traffic Scotland provide information about possible delays and disruptions on trunk roads.

From 16 August 2020, BEAR Scotland operate and maintain the south east trunk roads on behalf of Transport Scotland.

To report a defect on a trunk road, contact BEAR Scotland.

Further information on BEAR Scotland is available on their website and further details on upcoming road works are issued on their Twitter channel.

Applying for a road closure

A temporary traffic regulation notice or order is required when works or an event are taking place on the public road and there is insufficient road width to maintain at least one way traffic.

To apply for a road closure, you need to complete a road closure application form.

If you are unsure whether an order or a notice is required, contact the Traffic Management using this form.