Benefits for Council and housing association tenants

Housing benefit

This is a benefit that helps people with low incomes to pay their rent. We assess how much you are entitled to based on your income, savings and the number of people living in your household.

If you have a partner we will include their income and savings as well when we work out any benefit entitlement. We may also take into account the income of any other adults living with you in certain circumstances.

You (and your partner) must not have more than £16k in savings or capital, unless you are getting Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit).

If you are receiving Universal Credit, normally you will not be eligible for housing benefit as your housing costs will be included in your Universal Credit assessment. You will still be eligible to claim Council Tax reduction.

How to apply

You can apply by:

If you are self employed you will also need to download and complete a self employed earnings form.

To assess your claim you will be required to provide proof of your income and savings. Full details of what you can use as evidence are shown on the application form.

If you pay childcare costs please download and complete the Childcare costs evidence form.

If you are a self-employed taxi driver please complete the Taxi driver income sheet.

What happens next?

We will let you know our decision in writing.

If you disagree with the decision you can ask for an appeal and for us to reconsider our decision.

Apply for Housing Benefit Appeal rights and reconsiderations of benefit decisions