Tell us about changes which affect your entitlement

If you receive Housing Benefit, Local Housing Allowance or Council Tax Reduction you must tell us about any change of circumstance which may affect how much benefit you get.

This is not a full list. If you are not sure whether to tell us about a change, ask us for advice. You must tell us about any changes straight away.

Changes you must tell us about

You must tell us if:

  • you move home
  • any absence from your home which exceeds or is likely to exceed 13 weeks in Great Britain or 4 weeks outwith Great Britain
  • you're in hospital and a decision is made that you require 24 hour permanent care
  • someone moves into or out of your home
  • the circumstances of a member of your household change (for example, someone becomes a student or becomes registered blind)
  • your or your partners income changes
  • the income of any member of your household changes
  • the value of your money, savings or investments changes (for example, where the total held exceeds/falls below the lower capital limit of £6,000 for working age, and £10,000 for pension age, or exceeds the maximum capital threshold of £16,000
  • someone starts to get Carers Allowance for looking after you
  • someone in your household reaches the age of 18 or you stop receiving Child Benefit for any children in your household
  • the amount of childcare costs you pay changes

How to notify changes

You can report a change by completing an online change in circumstances form. Alternatively you can tell us about changes by phoning us on 0300 100 1800 or visit your nearest contact centre.

Telling the Pension Service or Job Centre Plus of a change does not mean they automatically tell us.

If you do not tell us your changes

  • you may lose money you are entitled to or you may get too much benefit
  • it is an offence not to tell us about any change of circumstance that affects your benefit
  • we may take court action against you and if we pay you too much benefit, you may have to pay it back

Customer Advice and Support Service

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800