Housing benefits

Universal Credit

If you or your partner are of working age, and not already getting Housing Benefit, Universal Credit can help you pay your rent. You can find more information on eligibility and how to apply on the Government website. You will still be eligible to claim Council Tax Reduction.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help people with low incomes to pay their rent. You should only make a new application if:

  • you’re not eligible for Universal Credit and:
    • you have reached State Pension age
    • you’re part of a couple and you have both reached State Pension age
    • you’re part of a mixed age couple where one of you is State Pension age and has been in receipt of State Pension Credit continually (without a break) since before 15 May 2019
  • you are eligible for Universal Credit and:
    • you live in accommodation where you are provided with support, care or supervision by or on behalf of your landlord
    • you live in temporary accommodation

The amount you may receive will depend on your individual circumstances.

If you are renting from a private landlord, the amount you receive may be affected by the number of bedrooms your household needs. You can find more information on this on our Benefits for private tenants page.

Who is eligible?

If you (and your partner) have more than £16k in savings or capital, you won’t be eligible unless you are getting Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit).

If you have a partner we will include their income and savings when we work out any benefit entitlement. We may also take into account the income of any other adults living with you.

How to apply

You can check if you might be eligible and apply by completing our online benefits form. The online form will ask you for evidence of your income and savings and will detail what you can use as evidence during the application.

We may need further information if you:

You can contact Customer Advice and Support to request a paper copy of any of the above forms.

What happens next?

You will receive a decision notice detailing any award entitlement.

If you disagree with the decision you can ask us for a reconsideration. If you still disagree you can then submit an appeal.

When will I receive my Housing Benefit payment?

Housing Benefit is normally paid every four weeks in arrears on a Friday. If you are unsure when your payment is due please contact Customer Advice and Support.

Further assistance

If you still need help covering your rent costs or help with the cost of moving house, you may be eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

If you’re a home owner and you’re having difficulties paying your mortgage you can find help and advice on the Scottish Government website.

Apply for Housing Benefit Appeal rights and reconsiderations of benefit decisions

Customer Advice and Support Service

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800