Care homes

Care homes in the Scottish Borders

Care homes provide 24 hour care for people over 65 years of age who need support which cannot be provided either at home or in other types of supported accommodation.

  • support is available for people who have a variety of needs such as physical frailty, mental health needs or a diagnosis of dementia or Alzheimer’s
  • placements may be on a permanent or temporary basis and can range from a short stay of a few days to long term stays

There is a range of homes available across the Borders run by ourselves and private providers.

Applying to move into a care home

If you are considering residential care, the first step is for you to have an assessment.

  • this will involve one or more meetings with you to talk about all the options available to you
  • your family carers can be involved in these meetings if you agree to this
  • together we will agree on the care which will be best for you. Normally we would look to assist you to remain at home
  • if we think a care home is the best option, we will help you to arrange one that is right for you. You will be allocated a named worker who will support you through the process
  • we will also discuss the cost of residential care with you

How do I arrange an assessment?

  • if you already have a named worker, they will be able to arrange this for you
  • if you do not have a named worker, you or someone you know can call us on 0300 100 1800 (option one). You can also visit your nearest What Matters Hub for advice

Finding a care home

  • if it has been decided that residential care is the best option, you should visit care homes and have a look around. You can meet staff and residents and find out about the care provided
  • the Care Information Scotland website provides useful advice on what to look for when choosing a home
  • the Care Inspectorate's website explains more about how they regulate and inspect all care homes. Their reports will tell you about the quality of each care home

What happens next?

Once you and your named worker have a found a placement that is suitable, they will advise you on the process of moving into the home.

Social Care and Health

Emergency out of office hours: 01896 752111

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800