Adult protection

Adult support and protection

Our Public Protection Committee supported this year's Adult Support and Protection Day on 20 February - find out more about the campaign in our news story.

If you're worried that you or someone you know may be or has been harmed, it's important to tell someone.

  • If you already have a social worker, phone them directly as a matter of priority. You can also speak to a health professional or the police.
  • If you don't have a social worker, phone 0300 100 1800. Our Customer Advice and Support Services team will take details and pass these on to the relevant social work team as a matter of priority.
  • Out of office hours, call 01896 752111.
  • If someone is in immediate danger, call the Police on 999 without delay.

Once we get a report

When a report is received, we will investigate the risk of harm. All actions are taken in partnership with the adult at risk and may include:

  • immediate action to ensure the safety of the adult
  • the police conducting criminal enquiries
  • providing advice and support to the adult at risk and any carers
  • providing a social care service to the adult, which may include referring them to other appropriate agencies

Most adults at risk are supported to stay in their own home. Where appropriate, you will be advised of the outcome of any enquiry.

Report terrorism and extremism

If you're worried that someone you know might be at risk of getting involved in terrorism, don’t rely on others to report it.

Please report any concerns you have about anyone - adult or child - who you think may be vulnerable to being drawn into extremism.

Concerned about a child?

If you're concerned about a child or young person, see information on child protection

Customer Advice and Support Service

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800