Free bus travel and Young Scot cards

National Entitlement Card

People who live in Scotland and are aged 60 and over or who have a disability can apply for a National Entitlement Card (NEC). This scheme provides free bus travel throughout Scotland.

The NEC scheme also allows for free travel for companions where required by eligible disabled people of any age (including children under five).

You can also use your NEC as your library card.

Your NEC is valid on services to and from Carlisle and on services to and from Berwick-upon-Tweed from anywhere in Scotland. It is not valid for travel within these towns.

Visit Travel Scotland Website to find out about:

  • eligibility
  • evidence you need to apply
  • travelling to Carlisle or Berwick-upon-Tweed
  • companion cards

You can also find further information about travelling if you are sight impaired, and the benefits and concessions that are available.

Young Scot cards

Young Scot is the national organisation for young people in Scotland. It provides a range of information, discounts, activities and opportunities for young people.

Visit the Young Scot website to find out about:

  • discounts and rewards
  • money off travel

How to apply for an NEC or Young Scot Card

If you’re a Young Scot and still at school, you should contact your school’s office, otherwise you can find how to apply for, renew or replace a card.

Find your nearest contact centre

National Entitlement Card

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells