Problems paying Council Tax

If you are finding it difficult to pay your Council Tax you should contact our Customer Advice and Support Service by:

  • online form
  • email:
  • phone: 0300 100 1800

What help is available?

Make sure you have claimed all of the benefits that you are entitled to. For working age families and individuals this is Universal Credit from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and Council Tax Reduction.

If you make a claim for Universal Credit you must indicate that you are happy for your data to be shared with us, and an application for Council Tax Reduction will then be processed.

For customers who cannot claim Universal Credit you must make a claim for Council Tax Reduction.

You can also review the discounts and exemptions that are available, if any of these apply to you this could reduce the amount that you are due to pay.

I can't pay my council tax this month, what should I do?

It is important that you contact us to let us know if you are going to miss a payment or not manage to pay the full amount. We will also ensure that you are getting all the support you are entitled to.

You should also consider paying your Council Tax by Direct Debit  which offers the opportunity to pay over 12 months, this reduces the overall monthly cost making it more affordable.

Payment arrangement

If you do not qualify for any of the help already mentioned we may be able to make a payment arrangement with you. We may ask you for details of the money coming in and out so that we make a payment arrangement you can afford. 

Non payment

If you do not pay your Council Tax we may take legal action against you which can result in further charges being applied. It is always better for you to make contact with us so that we can fully understand your circumstances. It also gives us the opportunity to review your account and offer you advice on the best way forward.

How else can the Council help?

You can find details of our debt advice and welfare rights services online or you can contact us.

Find information on benefits on the Child Poverty Action Group website.

You can also get free independent, confidential and impartial advice from Central Borders Citizens Advice.

Peebles and Roxburgh and Berwickshire are also operating telephone advice:

  • Peebles: 01721 721722 or
  • Roxburgh and Berwickshire:
  • Eyemouth: 01890 750500
  • Duns: 01361 883340
  • Kelso: 01573 223516
  • Hawick: 01450 374266

Customer Advice and Support Service

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800