Find paths near you
Paths around towns
Each booklet contains routes to suit different abilities with paths ranging in lengths from 2km-22km (1 mile-13 and a half miles) as well as:
- route descriptions
- historical and wildlife information
Our town trails routes lead you on a walk through the streets of the principal towns in the Borders. Accompanying town trails booklets provide information about the rich history and architecture of these settlements.
Some of the Paths around towns booklets include a map of the corresponding town trail.
Scotland’s Great Trails
Six Scottish Borders' routes are part of Scotland's Great Trails. Each route has its own unique character:
- dramatic landscapes and rich wildlife experiences on the Berwickshire Coastal Path
- built heritage on the Borders Abbeys Way
- rolling hills and sheltered glens of the Tweed Valley on the Cross Borders Drove Road
- hills, forest and town on the Roman and Reivers’ Route
- pilgrimage to historic sites on St Cuthbert's Way
- remote countryside on the Southern Upland Way
Hillwalking in the Scottish Borders
The hills in the Scottish Borders fall within the Southern Uplands range. There are a number of quality hill walking days to be experienced in these rolling moorland hills.
Hills in the Scottish Borders
With five hills over 750m (2460ft) we have a long history of being a destination for hillwalkers.
We have 38 Donald hills (regional hill list) and two Corbetts (national hill list).
A full list of Donalds, including links to further reading, is included in Walk the Donalds, Sub Munro hill list.
Upland landscape and habitats
The hills in the Southern Uplands within the region are largely managed as hill farms, for grazing sheep or cattle, and as grouse moors.
Therefore we recommend that you take extra care:
- during April and May because of lambing
- during April, May and June because of nesting birds
- From 12 August to 10 December grouse shoots take place in various locations
- from 1 October to 1 February pheasant shoots take place on farm and estate moorlands
Union Chain Bridge
Find out about the Union Chain Bridge and local walks around the bridge.
For further information on recommended hill routes or wildlife contact the ranger service.