Scottish Borders Council is working with partner agencies following reports of dead seabirds in Scottish coastal areas.
There is a risk that dead or ill sea birds may appear on Scottish Borders shores. At this time Avian Influenza has not been ruled out so it's important that the following guidance is followed:
- Don't pick up or touch dead or sick wild birds
- Keep pets/dogs away from any dead or sick birds
- Don't feed wild waterfowl
- Don't touch wild bird feathers or surfaces contaminated with wild bird droppings
- If you keep poultry or other birds, wash your hands and clean and disinfect your footwear before tending to your birds
Please report any dead wild waterfowl to DEFRA's hotline: 03459 335577.
If you find a live but ailing bird call SSPCA 03000 999 999