Equipment for independent living

Who can access the service?

The service is for anyone, of any age, whose independence and mobility is limited because of a physical disability, frailty or ill-health.

How can we help you?

  • Wide range of equipment - our store contains a wide range of gadgets and equipment which are available on loan to people who are assessed as by a trained professional as needing them. If you have more complex needs and if we do not have an item of specialised equipment, we can order this for you.
  • Demonstration area - this is situated at the entrance to our premises. You can try out equipment such as a stairlift and adjustable chairs or view home adaptations such as level-access showers. This is done in a friendly and safe environment where a Professional Advisor will also be on hand to offer advice and assistance.
  • Bringing our service to you - we have an exhibition vehicle which tours the towns and villages of the Borders, giving information about our service and carrying a range of small items of equipment. Professional staff, including physiotherapists and occupational therapists are available to talk with you about your needs and to offer advice on equipment and other services.
  • Delivering to your door - a member of our staff will deliver your new equipment to your door. The equipment will be either fitted when it is delivered, or we will arrange for it to be fitted as soon as possible after delivery.
  • Repairs - any repairs to your equipment are normally carried out on site. This can be arranged by contacting our offices. If we are not able to arrange for your equipment to be repaired at your home, we will try and deliver replacement equipment while the repairs are being carried out.

How much will it cost?

Some services are free and some are chargeable.

Find out if you're eligible for a service 

If you are eligible for a service, a personal support plan will be agreed with you to meet your needs.

If you are not eligible to receive a free or subsidised service, or if you prefer to arrange a service directly without a Social Work assessment, you can contact SB Cares directly.