You are a carer if you provide, or intend to provide, unpaid help and support. This could be to look after a family member, or help someone who is ill, frail or has a disability, mental health issues or addiction.

Support for adult carers

  • If you are an adult carer, you can contact the Borders Carers Centre for advice, information and guidance on what support is available to help you maintain your caring role. The Carers Centre is commissioned by the Scottish Borders Health and Social Care Partnership.
  • Information about national support for carers is available on the NHS Inform website or by phoning 0800 011 3200 (lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am–5pm).
  • The Scottish Government's National Wellbeing Hub website provides health and wellbeing advice for carers.

PPE for unpaid carers

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for unpaid carers can be supplied through our Community Assistance Hubs. You will need to complete our online form to be referred for the service but this can be done in any of the following ways:

  • complete the online form
  • phone the Carers Centre on 01896 752431 and ask for their help with the application process
  • phone Customer Advice and Support Services on 0300 100 1800 (option seven)

A copy of the privacy statement that supports the application process can be downloaded below.

How to get a carer’s support plan

  • a carer's support plan is a conversation about you and is an opportunity to explore options that could make caring easier for you. It is your chance to speak to someone about how you feel about being a carer and how it affects your life
  • you do not have to be living with the person you care for in order to qualify for a carer's support plan.You are entitled to a support plan in your own right even if the person you care for does not wish to receive any support. You also do not need to be in receipt of carer's allowance
  • there is no charge for a carer’s support plan
  • you can get a carers support plan by contacting the Borders Carers Centre by phone 01896 752431 or email

Eligibility for support

Eligibility criteria is in place that identifies the carers that we have a duty to support. The support plan will help to identify this, and also identify other ways that carers can be enabled to carry out their caring role. Download the eligibility framework for carers

Short breaks

Short breaks can give you and the person you care for a break away from the pressures and demands of the caring situation. This enables you to recharge and cope better with life at home. Find out more about short breaks

Support for young carers

If you are a young person and spend time looking after a member of your family like your mum or dad, or brother or sister, then there could be support available to help you.  Find out more about being a young carer

Support for the person you care for

If you feel the person you care for would benefit from social care support, advice and information is available from our Customer Advice and Support team on 0300 100 1800 (option one).

PPE for unpaid carers during COVID-19 Privacy Notice - Unpaid Carers PPE Download Living Well Strategy 2019-22 - Plan for carers Download the Scottish Borders Short Breaks Statement

Customer Advice and Support Service

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800