Mental health services
There is a range of mental health services delivered by ourselves and NHS Borders.
Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service
- CAMHS is based in the Andrew Lang Unit in Selkirk. It is a multi-disciplinary team consisting of nurses, psychiatrists, occupational therapists, speech and language therapists, paediatricians and psychologists.
- The team supports children up to the age of 18. Children must be referred into CAMHS by their GP or another health and social care professional.
- You can contact the team with any queries on 01750 23715.
- Download a self-help guide for children and young people - mental health and wellness
Find out more informaton about mental health and wellbeing for children and young people.
Community Mental Health Team, Community Rehabilitation Team and Borders Addictions Services
- There are three Community Mental Health Teams (CMHTs):
- South Team based in Hawick Community Hospital
- East Team based in Huntlyburn House, Melrose
- West Team, based in Huntlyburn House, Melrose
- Both the Community Rehabilitation Team (CRT) and Borders Addications Services (BAS) are based at Galavale in Galashiels.
- These are all integrated multi-disciplinary teams consisting of nurses, psychiatrists, psychologists, support workers, social workers, occupational therapists and mental health officers (MHOs).
- The teams care for adults between the ages of 18-69. You must be referred by your GP or another health and social care professional.
- You can contact the teams by calling the BGH Switchboard on 01896 826000. There is also a general MHO enquiry line: 01896 752111.
Mental Health Older Adults Service
- There are two multi-disciplinary Mental Health Older Adults Services (MHOAS) teams:
- Central and West Team, based at the Borders General Hospital, Melrose
- East and South Team, based at Poynder View, Kelso
- The teams are made up of nurses, psychiatrists, psychologists, occupational therapists and support workers.
- They care for adults 70 years old or above. You must be referred by your GP or another health and social care professional.
- You can contact either team through the BGH Switchboard on 01896 826000.
Mental Health In-patient Units
There are five mental health wards provided by NHS Borders:
- Cauldshiels - this is a specialist Dementia assessment ward. The team care and assess for patients aged from 70 and over who have or are suspected to have a diagnosis of Dementia.
- East Brig - this is a rehabilitation ward for adult individuals between the ages of 18-69 who have severe and enduring mental illness and require treatment in hospital.
- Huntlyburn Ward - this is a ward for adult individuals between the ages of 18-69 who are acutely unwell and require more intensive treatment and care.
- Lindean - this is an adult ward for individuals aged 70 and over who are acutely unwell and require more intensive treatment and care.
- Melburn Lodge - this is a ward for patients aged 70 and over with complex care needs who have a diagnosis of Dementia and require specialist care.
- East Brig is based at Galavale in Galashiels. The other four in-patient units are based within the Borders General Hospital grounds in Melrose.
- You can contact these wards through the BGH Switchboard on 01896 826000.