Temporary Accommodation Repairs

How to appeal or complain

How can I appeal or make a complaint?

If you do not agree with our decision as to whether or not you are homeless you have a right to request a review. You also have the right to request a review of any temporary or permanent accommodation offered.

Details of how to do this will be given in the letter explaining our decision.

If we have provided you with temporary accommodation, this will continue during the course of the appeal and until the outcome is communicated to you.

If you are still dissatisfied with our decision you have the right to judicial Review. To do this you should contact a housing solicitor, or Shelter Scotland:

To speak to a Housing Adviser or to ask for Advocacy contact Shelter Scotland Helpline free on 0808 800 4444

Making a complaint

If you disagree with your homelessness decision, you should use the appeals process.

If you want to complain about the quality of service you received you can make a complaint by:

When you make your complaint remember to tell us:

  • your full name and address
  • as much as you can about the complaint
  • what has gone wrong
  • how you want us to resolve the matter

You may be unable, or reluctant to make a complaint yourself. We can take complaints from a friend, relative or an advocate, if you have given them your consent to complain for you.

For further details, including how we deal with your complaint, see our complaints procedure.

Significant Performance Failures

Significant Performance Failures (SPF) are a way for tenants who live in social housing to raise serious concerns when their landlord’s action, or failure to take action, puts tenants’ interests at risk.


  • significantly affects a number of the landlord’s tenants
  • is not an individual tenant complaint about services
  • could happen where a social landlord fails to carry out health and safety requirements, such as annual gas safety checks, or does not maintain tenants’ homes or carry out repairs in line with its legislative duties and published policies

You can identify and report serious performance failure to the Scottish Housing Regulator. You can find more information on SPFs on the Housing Regulator website