All school meals eaten in the Borders are produced in the Borders.
- school meals to 72 school kitchens across the Scottish Borders
- 6000 primary school meals a day
- school meals to pupils with special dietary requirements (please ask staff in the school office about the Special Dietary Requirement procedure)
- free school meals for every Primary 1 - 3 pupil
We aim to provide nutritionally balanced meals, that are alligned with the Scottish Government's nutritional requirements for food and drinks served in schools. Our recipes are developed against these standards to ensure that our menus provide a balance of essential nutrients over the course of one week.
There are 14 standards for Scottish school meals, these are for;
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat
- Total Carbohydrate
- Non-milk extrinsic sugars
- Fibre (NSP)
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
Free school meals
You may be eligible to claim free school lunches for your child.
Find out more about the online payment facility for parents.
Scottish Borders Council Catering Service offers theme day menus in our Primary Schools to encourage pupils to try new food, to celebrate local and national holidays and to work in collaboration with our school curriculum. Our theme day menus are available on ParentPay.