All school meals eaten in the Borders are produced in the Borders and our schools follow the same menus and recipes.
- school meals to 72 school kitchens across the Scottish Borders
- 6000 primary school meals a day
- school meals to pupils with special dietary requirements (please ask staff in the school office about the Special Dietary Requirement procedure)
- free school meals for every Primary 1 - 3 pupil
Our school meals are produced in line with the statutory nutrient standards for school lunches for pupils in primary and secondary schools as defined in Healthy Eating in Schools: A guide to implementing the nutritional requirements for food and drink in schools (Scotland) regulations, published in 2008.
There are 14 standards for Scottish school meals, these are for;
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat
- Total Carbohydrate
- Non-milk extrinsic sugars
- Fibre (NSP)
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
Free school meals
You may be eligible to claim free school lunches for your child.
Find out more about the online payment facility for parents.
Scottish Borders Council Catering Service offers theme day menus in our Primary Schools to encourage pupils to try new food, to celebrate local and national holidays and to work in collaboration with our school curriculum. Our theme day menus are available on ParentPay.