All school meals eaten in the Borders are produced in the Borders. Where possible we aim to source local produce including potatoes and vegetables from Tower Farm, Cockburnspath, as well as British Farm Assured meat.
- school meals to 72 school kitchens across the Scottish Borders
- 6k primary school meals a day
- school meals to pupils with special dietary requirements (please ask staff in the school office about the Special Dietary Requirement procedure)
- free school meals for every Primary 1-3 pupil
We aim to provide nutritionally balanced meals, that are alligned with the Scottish Government's nutritional requirements for food and drinks served in schools. Our recipes are developed against these standards to ensure that our menus provide a balance of essential nutrients over the course of one week.
There are 14 standards for Scottish school meals, these are for:
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat
- Total Carbohydrate
- Non-milk extrinsic sugars
- Fibre (NSP)
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
The Scottish Government are currently reviewing the food and nutrition standards in schools. During the course of 2019 and 2020 our catering department will be making small changes to the primary school menu to align our current offering with the most up to date Government recommendations on healthy eating.
Free school meals
You may be eligible to claim free school lunches for your child.
Find out more about the online payment facility for parents.