Had a change in circumstances?
If you receive housing benefit, Local Housing Allowance or Council Tax reduction you must tell us about any change of circumstance which may affect how much benefit you get.
This is not a full list. If you are not sure whether to tell us about a change, ask us for advice. You must tell us about any changes straight away.
Changes you must tell us about
You must tell us if
- You move
- Your rent changes
- Someone moves into or out of your home
- The circumstances of a member of your household change (for example, someone becomes a student or becomes registered blind)
- You or your partners income changes
- The income of any member of your household changes
- The value of your money, savings or investments changes
- Someone starts to get Carers Allowance for looking after you
- Someone in your household reaches the age of 18 or you stop receiving Child Benefit for any children in your household
- The amount of childcare costs you pay changes
How to notify changes
You can tell us by downloading and completing a change of circumstances form and return it to your nearest contact centre. Telling the Pension Service or Job Centre Plus of a change does not mean they automatically tell the Council.
Alternatively you can tell us about changes by calling us on 0300 100 1800 or visit your nearest contact centre.
If you do not tell us your changes
- If you do not tell us about these changes, you may lose money you are entitled to or you may get too much benefit.
- It is an offence not to tell us about any change of circumstance that affects your benefit.
- We may take court action against you and if we pay you too much benefit, you may have to pay it back.