Household waste disposal
Where you can recycle
There are 7 community recycling centres for waste that's been produced from domestic properties.
If you're using a trailer or large vehicle to deposit your waste you'll need to book a slot.
We also have recycling points in communities for the recycling of glass and textiles.
Waste that can be disposed of
The types of items you can dispose of are:
- books, cd’s, dvd’s etc
- bric a brac
- batteries (car & domestic)
- fluorescent tubes & lightbulbs
- food tins & drinks cans
- fridges & freezers
- garden tools
- garden waste
- gas cylinders/bottles
- glass bottles and jars
- hardcore & rubble (not Selkirk)
- household cooking oil
- household waste
- large electrical appliances
- paper, newspapers, magazines & cardboard
- plastic packaging
- scrap metal
- small electrical appliances
- textiles & clothes
- TVs & monitors
- used engine oil
- wood & timber
Disposing of garden waste
Garden waste must be disposed of loosely in the skip to prevent contamination. If you're using plastic bags to transport the garden waste you can dispose of them separately.
Could your item be reused?
We have set up reuse cabins/areas at several of our recycling centres, which allows you to donate unwanted household items to bring them back into use.
Waste we don't accept
- flares & pyrotechnics
- hazardous chemicals inc weedkillers
Trade waste disposal
Find information about disposal of trade waste at our community recycling centres, or our waste transfer stations.
- waste should be presented in easily managed amounts that can be deposited quickly on arrival at site
- recycling centres may need to temporarily close at short notice in order for skips to be emptied
- we can provide assistance to you so long as you remain at least 1m away from our member of staff
- if staff feel it is safe to do so they can assist you with large items you may be struggling with, e.g. a sofa, as long as the 1m safe distance can be maintained between you, and you are both wearing face masks
- If you are visiting Eshiels Community Recycling Centre, please do not queue beyond our ‘no queuing’ signage at the top of the entrance road
- we thank all residents for their patience and cooperation and would ask anyone using our recycling centres to please treat our staff with respect
- failure to comply with the temporary restrictions and social distancing guidance will result in recycling centres having to close again