Benefits and Financial Support

People affected by cancer

The Borders Macmillan Welfare Benefits Partnership offers a free, confidential and impartial advice service for people and their families affected by cancer.

They can help you:

  • with advice on current and future benefit entitlements
  • to apply for social security benefits and tax credits
  • to appeal against benefit decisions
  • to access charitable grants
  • to access help with costs such as travel to hospital
  • to apply for transport concessions such as the Blue Badge

They are also able to offer guidance to people affected by cancer on:

  • power of attorney
  • making a will
  • future planning for a funeral

You can discuss any of these matters by using the online contact form.

FAQs from people who are affected by cancer

Will I be able to get a blue badge?

You can get a blue badge if you have severe mobility difficulties. The blue badge will help you park near where you need to go. Find out how to apply for a blue badge.

The cost of travel for treatment is expensive, is there any help available?

You can get help with travel costs through the NHS Health Costs Scheme if you are on certain benefits or if you have a low income. You can find out more information on the NHS website.

I have additional costs due to the cancer diagnosis and treatment, can I get help?

People affected by cancer will often need to buy extra bedding, new clothes and may need to spend more on heating costs. They may also have travel costs which are not covered under the NHS Health Costs Scheme. It could be possible to get a Macmillan Grant to help with these extra costs You can find out more information, including how to apply for a Macmillan Grant on the Macmillan website.

You could also apply for a community care grant for items you need to purchase. Find out more about community care grants.

Callum's Trust can also help with some costs, if you live in the Scottish Borders and have been diagnosed with lymphoma, leukaemia or myeloma or are caring for someone who is receiving end of life cancer at home. You can find out more information on the Callum's Trust website.

The Macmillan Welfare Benefits Partnership can also help you to access grant schemes.

My sick pay from my employer is ending, can I get any benefits?

When your statutory sick pay ends you may be able to claim Universal CreditEmployment and Support Allowance or both. It may be possible to claim housing benefit and Council Tax reduction, depending on your financial circumstances. For further information please contact the Macmillan Welfare Benefits Officer on 0300 100 1800.

Can I get help to fill in benefit forms as I am finding it difficult?

You can get help to fill in your benefit forms. We can help you on the telephone or we can arrange for someone to come to your home. You can arrange this by contacting the Financial Support and Inclusion Team.

I am caring for someone affected by cancer, can I get advice and assistance too?

Yes, our service can give advice to all people affected by cancer, including the cancer patient's family and carers.

I would like to talk to someone about making a will, arranging a power of attorney and planning for a funeral.

We can give you information and guidance on the different choices available to you and can give details about what you need to go ahead and make arrangements.

I need advice about my pension/mortgage/insurance.

Macmillan Cancer Support has a helpline to advise you about pensions, mortgages and insurance. You can call the helpline on 0800 808 0000. You can also get further information on the Macmillan website.

Citizens Advice Bureau

For further general benefits advice contact your Local Citizens Advice Bureau