Street naming and numbering

Applications for naming individual houses, streets and developments should be sought at the earliest possible stage. There is a charge for this service, details of which are contained on the FAQs page.

Addresses and postcodes are then registered with all relevant agencies, including:

  • relevant council services
  • Police
  • Fire
  • Ambulance
  • British Telecom

The property will appear on Royal Mail's Address Management website with the postcode.

How new street names and numbers are given

Requests for naming and numbering new developments may be considered by Committee. It may also be dealt with under delegated powers, by the Chief Legal Officer if the proposed name is acceptable to us, the developer and the local Community Council.

  • requests should include a site plan of the development (no larger than A4)
  • developers can suggest a name (or names) for the development
  • local ward Councillors and relevant Community Councils are consulted and can also put forward suggestions
  • the final decision is made by us
  • we advise the developer of the development name
  • we contact Royal Mail who issue and notify developers with relevant postcodes
  • we ask developers to contact Assets department about ordering and erecting street signs

New properties in existing streets/renaming existing houses

For individuals or developers who are building only one or two houses, which will be part of existing streets or are in rural locations, the new property needs to be registered with Royal Mail through us.

Requests should include:

  • the proposed name
  • a site plan of the properties (no larger than A4)
  • a note of any neighbouring properties postcodes (if known)

The same procedure applies to individuals wishing to rename their existing property.

Transferring new build properties on Royal Mail database

Royal Mail has two databases:

  • one for properties under construction - not yet built file (NYB)
  • one for properties which are completed - the postal address file (PAF)

Once a property becomes occupied and needs transferred from NYB to PAF the proprietor can phone Royal Mail on 034560 45060

Visit Royal Mail website

Street naming and numbering

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800