Getting married

How and when to give notice of marriage

The following information gives general guidance only and should not be treated as a complete and authoritative statement of the law.

Each person getting married must complete and submit a Marriage Notice - Scotland NRS - M10 Form, along with the required documents and the appropriate fee, to the Registrar for the district in which the marriage will take place. You can find information about completing a marriage notice form in the guidance notes.

Marriage notice submission period

The notices must be submitted early enough to enable the Registrar to be satisfied that you are free to marry one another. Notices should be handed in about 10-12 weeks before the marriage.

The minimum period is 29 days before the date of the proposed marriage, but if you leave things as late as this you may need to postpone your marriage.

Only in exceptional circumstances will the Registrar General authorise a marriage to take place if 29 days' notice has not been given.

How to submit your completed marriage notice

Marriage notices can be submitted in person by making an appointment to attend the registration office or you can arrange to post them with the appropriate documents and fee.

You can make an appointment by phoning 0300 100 1800 or visiting any contact centre or library contact centre.

Registration enquiry

Telephone: Monday to Thursday 8am-5pm, Friday 8am-4pm, Saturday 9am-12noon

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800