Getting married

Getting married abroad

You should contact the Consulate/Embassy for the relevant country for advice on what documentation will be required.

If you are asked to provide a Certificate of No Impediment (CONI) and you are resident in Scotland, you can apply no earlier than three months before the date of the wedding, to your local Registrar for this, by submitting notice as if you were getting married in Scotland.

Documentation to be submitted

You should submit the following to the Registrar:

The Registrar will then be able to issue the CONI 29 days after submission of the marriage notice and fee. The CONI is valid for three months from the date of issue.

For more information, visit the National Records of Scotland website.

Registration enquiry

Telephone: Monday to Thursday 8am-5pm, Friday 8am-4pm, Saturday 9am-12noon

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells

Telephone: 0300 100 1800