Short-term lets

Pre-application checks and applying

Before you start your application

Check if you need a licence

You can check if you need a licence (opens in new window) on The Scottish Government website.

Read the guidance

You should read The Scottish Government information and guidance (opens in new window) about licenses for short-term lets.

Required documents

Complete the following risk assessments before starting your application:

You'll also need to upload:

  • electrical installation condition report
  • portable appliance testing report
  • building insurance
  • public liability insurance
  • floor layout plan
  • site plan

Where applicable, you'll also need to upload:

  • energy performance certificate
  • gas safety certificate
  • private water supply sample results
  • planning permission evidence
  • existing host evidence

Make your application

You'll need a MyScotBorders account to apply. 

You can apply online. As you go through the application if you realise you don't have all the documents ready, you'll be able to save your progress and return to it later.  

We won't be able to consider your application without all the required supporting documentation. If you don't provide all the documentation on submission, your application won't be complete and won't be valid.

If you're unable to make the application online, you can download the application form, pre-application checklist and the consent of owner form.

Apply for a Short-Term Let Licence Privacy Notice - Short-Term Lets

Licensing unit

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells