Short-term lets

We are currently managing a very high volume of applications and enquiries. We will be in contact with you with a decision on your application or further information when required.  Please see our website/Scottish Government site for further information, guidance and general STL Q&A.

If you have any urgent enquiries, please contact us via email:

Short Term Lets  :
All other licences:

All short-term let accommodation must have a licence under the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 (Licensing of Short-term Lets) Order 2022 (opens in new window)

New hosts

New hosts must have a licence before taking any bookings or receiving guests. 

Licence Types

There are four types:

  • secondary letting - letting a property where you don't normally live, for example a second home or holiday home
  • home letting - letting all or part of your own property while you're not there, for example while you're on holiday
  • home sharing - renting all or part of your own home while you're living there
  • home letting and sharing - letting out all or part of your own home both while you're living there and also at times when you're not

For guidance and to to check if you need a licence refer to The Scottish Government website (opens in new window). You can also refer to the Visit Scotland website (opens in new window).


Find out about our policy statement.


If you have any concerns about a licenced short-term let you should raise the issue with the host or operator in the first instance.  If your concerns can't be resolved you can contact us with details. 

If you're concerned about an unlicensed short-term let contact Police Scotland (opens in new window).

Consultee contacts

Apply for a Short-Term Let Licence Privacy Notice - Short-Term Lets

Licensing unit

Address: Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells