Employment byelaws for children and young people

Byelaws provide details of the hours children are permitted to work and the types of employment allowed.

You can download the:

Child performance licence

Children of compulsory school age who wish to take part in performances may need to apply for a licence. The performing industries include television, film, theatre, modelling and sporting activities.

A licence is required if one or more of the following applies:

  • your child is of compulsory school age and lives in the Scottish Borders
  • a charge is made for admission to the performance
  • the performance is taking place within licensed premises
  • the performance is to be filmed

Download a Child performance license application form

A licence is not required if one or more of the following applies:

  • there is no payment to your child for the performance
  • the performance or production is being made by your child's school