You are a carer if you provide, or intend to provide, unpaid help and support. This could be to look after a family member, or help someone who is ill, frail or has a disability, mental health issues or addiction.

How do I get support?

  • Contact the Borders Carers Centre for information. They provide a wide range of information and support to carers to help carers maintain their caring role.
  • The Carers Centre is commissioned by the Scottish Borders Health and Social Care Partnership to provide this.

How to get a carer’s support plan

  • A carer's support plan is a conversation about you and is an opportunity to explore options that could make caring easier for you. It is your chance to speak to someone about how you feel about being a carer and how it affects your life.
  • You do not have to be living with the person you care for in order to qualify for a carer's support plan.You are entitled to a support plan in your own right even if the person you care for does not wish to receive any support. You also do not need to be in receipt of carer's allowance.
  • There is no charge for a carer’s support plan.
  • You can get a carers support plan by contacting the Borders Carers Centre on 01896 752431 or at: [email protected]

Eligibility for support

  • New eligibility criteria have been introduced that identify the carers that the council has a duty to support.
  • The support plan will help to identify this, and also identify other ways that carers can be enabled to carry out their caring role.
  • Download the eligibility framework for carers

Short breaks

  • Short breaks can give you and the person you care for a break away from the pressures and demands of the caring situation. This enables you to recharge and cope better with life at home.
  • Find out more about short breaks

Support for young carers

  • If you are a young person and spend time looking after a member of your family like your mum or dad, or brother or sister, then there could be support available to help you. 
  • Find out more about being a young carer

Support for the person you care for

  • If the person you care for would benefit from social care support, advice and information is available at our What Matters Hubs drop in sessions.
  • You can also contact our Customer Advice and Support team on 0300 100 1800 (Option 1).