What is self directed support?
- It's a way for you to choose support that suits you
- It gives you more flexibility and choice over your own care and support and how it's arranged and paid for
- It puts you in control of your social care and support
How do I get support?
These are four key steps:
1. Assessing your support needs
This is how we will work out if you're eligible and how much money you could get from social work to pay for your support.
We may need to get in touch with other people who know you, such as your family, your doctor or a nurse. We will not do this without your permission.
If you do not currently have a named worker, call us on 0300 100 1800.
Find out if you are eligible for this service.
If you are eligible, once your assessment is completed we will give you an estimate of how much money you will get to spend on your support. This amount of money is called your estimated budget.
2. Planning your support
We will ask you to fill in a support plan. Your named worker will explain how to fill in the support plan and will help you complete it. Your support plan should explain the support you may get from family, friends and the community, and how your budget will be used to meet your needs in the way that you want.
3. Agreeing your support
We must agree to your support plan before it can be put into action. Once the funding is agreed this is called your individual budget.
4. Receiving your support
We will agree a date with you to review your plan and make sure it is working well for you.
What additional help can I get?
As well as your named worker, who will support you through this service, additional support is available through the following organisations:
- Scottish Government - Self Directed Support Scotland
- Borders Independent Advocacy Service (BIAS)
- Low Buckholmside, Galashiels TD1 1RT
- Tel: 01896 752200
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: Borders Independent Advocacy Service
- Encompass Borders
- Anderson's Chambers, Market Street, Galashiels TD1 3AF
- Tel: 01896 759700
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: Encompass Borders