Any individual, group or organisation can make comments of objection or support for a planning application while it is open for consultation.
How to comment on a planning decision
Once registered, please follow the steps below:
- Log in to your account Select 'Search>Planning>Simple search' and find the application you wish to comment on
- On the right side of the page select 'Make a public comment'
- Enter your comments
- Select 'Submit'
To comment by post, please write to the following address and include the following:
- the date
- the name and address of the sender
- the reference number of the application
- the address of the site
- your comments
Planning and Regulatory Services
Scottish Borders Council Headquarters
Newtown St. Boswells
Any comments you submit will be published, along with your name, and will be available for inspection and to be copied by any interested party.
If you need any assistance or further information please contact us online or by phone.
It is advisable to find out as much information as possible about the proposals beforehand. All planning application files are available online on our Public Access portal and for public inspection from the local area planning office. The planning officer dealing with the application may discuss the case with any person.
When submitting comments, we would encourage you to make it clear whether you wish to object or support the application, or whether you just wish to make a comment regarding the proposals. If, after having inspected the plans, you have any concerns about the proposals, you should submit your comments which should be restricted to 'material planning considerations', by one of the methods described.
Your comment will be acknowledged and will be considered during the processing of the application. If the application is to be determined at Committee level, your comments, or a summary of its terms, may be made available to Committee Members. You will also be notified of the decision on the application.
If you communicate with us by email then our response will also be via email.
Material planning considerations
Material planning considerations can include issues such as:
- the appearance of the proposal in terms of design
- siting and materials
- traffic parking or access problems
- residential amenity (noise, overshadowing)
- drainage and infrastructure
- impact on the natural or built environment
Material planning considerations do not include:
- private legal or ownership matters
- the impact of a proposal on views from a property
- the impact on the value of the property